Sunday, August 17, 2008

About me

The eldest of three children, I grew up in the eastern part of the island where everyone spoke Teochew so I grew up thinking everyone in Singapore spoke the same dialect until I went to junior college. Although I am not Teochew, there is a sense of identity when communicating with friends and colleagues who speak Teochew because that is my mother tongue and that is the language that identifies me as a Chinese. It's funny how Singaporeans equate being Chinese with the ability to speak Mandarin. Because my second language is Malay and I can speak only a smattering of simple Mandarin, some of my former students have labelled me a "yellow banana" (actually the adjective "yellow" is redundant, is it not? I guess it was meant to emphasise the colour of my skin). Anyway, according to their Chinese teacher I'm yellow on the outside but white on the inside because I cannot speak Mandarin. It was as if I was a traitor to my race. I once asked them how many of their grandmothers spoke Mandarin. Only a few hands were raised. I asked if the rest considered their grandmothers Chinese despite not understanding Mandarin or using it. The reply was the affirmative. I told them I rested my case.

What many Singaporeans do not know is that many Chinese in China do not speak Mandarin. The Straits Times on December 29, 2004, reported that nearly half of China's population can't speak Mandarin or putonghua, according to a six-year survey on the use of the country's official language. This is despite five decades of effort by the Communist government to promote the use of Mandarin. The findings revealed that only a mere 18% of the respondents use Mandarin at home while 42 per cent speak it at school, work and play. Mandarin may be widely used in public activities but local dialects were more common among family members and friends. To me, Teochew is the key to my culture, not Mandarin, but because of the overwhelming success of the Speak Mandarin campaign, many Singaporeans have equated ethnicity with the use of only one and one Chinese language, Mandarin. If Mr Lee Kuan Yew had decided on another Chinese language as the official language way back then as the second language in school, we would all be speaking another Chinese dialect today.


I went to an all-girls' school for ten wonderful years which were spent playing rounders (a simplified game of softball), queueing up on Fridays for mee-goreng (sometimes we would bring along our own eggs), sharing food and soup (imagine three to four girls slurping from the same soup bowl!) and speaking in F-language. Before you think it's the f-word and that we were spewing vulgarities then, it's not; it's replacing each word with an F sound in the initial position and pronouncing each word twice; once the English word and the next, the F-sounding word. I never could do it although some of my friends mastered it. The F-language was thus the medium of communication for a tightly-knit group of girls to share secrets and gossip about friends and foe alike. Similarly today, the language used in sms-es, emails, etc. by teenagers is sometimes understood only by close friends and those within their group.

Life for me from about the age of twelve years till junior college revolved round school, table-tennis and home. Social life for me then was practically non-existent because my father wanted me to chase his dreams of winning trophies in table-tennis. So, Saturday afternoons were spent at the Civil Service Club hall in Tessensohn Road training with my father and brother. I also had to attend training sessions elsewhere at least three nights a week (more if there were tournaments round the corner). Spending time out with friends was also not allowed because my parents felt I was too young to be going out on a date even when I turned 19! I remember vividly an incident when a boy who had asked me out to a movie was left waiting at the cinema because my father refused to let me out of the house. It was only when I entered university that the reins loosened and I was able to assert some of my rights as a young adult. Fortunately for me too, my father's attention had been diverted to my younger sister, a table-tennis prodigy then and who went on to win the SEA Games individual gold medal in 1985, a feat we are still very proud of today.


Although I had a strict upbringing, I am grateful for the discipline instilled by my parents for it has made me what I am today. Being the eldest and the first girl in the family meant doing housework and being responsible for my younger siblings. I remember having to feed, bathe and even discipline my younger sister who is eight years younger. Does birth order determine your personality? I firmly believe so. Those lower in the birth order are given more leeway to experiment, to be free, to do what they want, unrestricted by impositions from their parents. Their older siblings on the other hand, have been drilled from young by their parents to be "responsible". According to Sulloway, author of "Born to rebel", younger siblings are more inclined to try experimental, sometimes dangerous things. Sulloway points out that leaders of revolutions — Thomas Jefferson, Karl Marx and Fidel Castro — were rebellious younger brothers. He says older brothers are often more conservative — former Presidents Carter and Clinton and their younger brothers, Billy and Roger. Billy Carter had a beer-making business, and Roger Clinton tried a singing career — far cries from presidential politics. Of course, there are those like Dalton Conley, author of "The Pecking Order," another book on the effects of birth order, who says, "birth order makes about as much sense as astrology, which is almost none." What do you think?

6 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

This is very interesting. Your discussion about your mother tongue, and other people's views of it, reminded me of my own "odd" dialect of English, one that most in Singapore would have a hard time understanding.

Your description of the f-language is also interesting, as is your discussion of siblings. Great stuff!

Best of luck as you assist your students in setting up and creating an exciting e-learning environment in ES2007S!

jiahwa said...

I agree to your statement about birth order determining our personality! It is true to a certain extent that the elder child is usually more conservative. At least, this is what I feel with reference to my own experience of having a brother 6 years my senior.

He is usually less likely to venture out of the norms and tends to stick to the 'safe side'. This could be greatly due to the influence of our parents. I have realised that the limitations set by my parents on both of us varies. In most cases, I usually get to push the limit slightly further than the one imposed on my brother (except for issues like going home late, since I am afterall a girl). Less limitations imposed could be a major contributing factor to how conservative we are now, hence the slight difference in personality between my brother and I.

Illya Nafiza said...

Oh gosh, I didn't realize that the F-language went way back.
My friends and I used to speak it when we were in Primary School but it gave me such a headache. Never got the hang of it!!!

grace kim said...

Hi Brad, thanks for your comments. So sorry, I did not realise you had replied to my post because I had been so busy reading my students' blogs that I had forgotten to check my own till now!

I was pleasantly surprised to read that you speak a dialect of English that we in Singapore would have a tough time understanding although as teachers we are certainly aware that there are varieties of English in the UK and the USA. Is there a name to this "odd" dialect of yours? Would like to hear more about your dialect!

grace kim said...

Hi Jia Hwa,

Thanks for sharing the differences in personality between your brother and you. I see the same pattern in my own children too! My eldest is more conservative and demonstrates less risk-taking behaviour compared to my youngest daughter who like you, pushes the limits and usually gets away with a lot of things with her father!

grace kim said...

Hi Illya,

Like you, I had a headache too trying to figure out the conversation my friends were having. I was usually lost after the first sentence or so!

Yes, the F-language existed way back then in the 1970s! If I’m not mistaken, people are still using it today because sometime ago, I remember hearing a young lady on TV talk about how she and her friends used this language when they were in school. I guess it’s the secret language among girls. Can I safely presume that you used the language only with your classmates who were girls?