Sunday, August 17, 2008

Single sex schools vs co-ed schools



I studied in an all-girls' school for ten years and those ten years were some of the best years of my life for that was when I found God and when I forged friendships that have lasted till today.
Those were the reasons why I sent my girl to my alma mater which is located 7 km away despite the fact that she could have gotten into a highly popular SAP primary school whose fences literally touched my backyard. As my sons had studied in the SAP school, she automatically qualified to be in the same school. So, imagine the horror on the faces of friends when I told them I had enrolled her in my alma mater instead of the SAP school where parents had to undergo balloting to get their children in every year. Why the decision to send my school to my alma mater? This begs the question: Is a single-sex school better than a co-educational school?

What are the advantages of a single-sex school? How is it that the majority of the top secondary schools in Singapore are usually either all-boys or all-girls schools? Is there a correlation between single-sex schools and better academic attainment? On the flip side, does being in a single-sex school reduce a teenager's opportunities for healthy social interaction with the opposite sex, thus affecting his/her social development?





============================================================================

3 comments:

audrey said...

Hello Ms Kim! I am Audrey. I am just curious, do you mind telling me which secondary school did you graduate from? I was from an all girl`s school too!

grace kim said...

Hi Audrey,

So sorry for the very late reply. I have been so busy checking all your blogs that I failed to realise that others have commented on my blogs too till today when I decided to have a look at my blog!

Looks like we did not go to the same secondary school since you can't recognise my school uniform from the photo posted on my blog. I came from Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School. Which school did you go to?

audrey said...

Hi Ms Kim!
I went to CHIJ St Nicholas Girl's school. :)